One curiosity we noticed after moving into the house was that the pantry cabinet next to the ovens appeared to be 26" deep on the exterior, but inside we only had 12". Hmm. What was occupying that extra 14" or so? A trip outside to examine the roof line, combined with a visit to the basement, seemed to indicate that there was a chimney running up through the kitchen at exactly this spot. We were excited at the possibility of finding some exposed brick to incorporate into our design, but didn't hold out much hope considering all the work done on the house previously (converting from coal to oil, as well as the previous remodel). For all we knew, the chimney was now made of cinder blocks.
So a few weeks ago, we ripped the side panel off the pantry cabinet, and this is what we found:
|Lovely original brick!|
Then, a few days ago, C was itching to bash a hole in something, so he took on the soffit. We had been hoping that the soffit was (as our GC predicted) installed for purely aesthetic reasons and not to hide important pipes, etc. A couple of good swings yielded this:
|Not TOO big of a hole...|
I don't know how much demo we will actually get done ourselves; the amount of debris and dust will probably overwhelm us before too long. The kids are excited for it, though, and they did do quite a good job ripping out the sunroom carpet last summer....Goggles, masks, and gloves for everyone!